The ALFA International Corporate Transactions group brings together skilled lawyers from around the globe to represent clients with transactional and regulatory needs ranging from merging with a business across town, divesting a brand based in another state or acquiring a company with operations on multiple continents.
The firms and lawyers in the Corporate Transactions group also have experience managing and addressing a wide range of securities-related legal matters, including start-up and venture financing work, initial public offerings, going public or private transactions, or defending against a shareholder lawsuit. Member firms can provide coordinated counsel for legal transactions and disputes that span several states, an entire continent or even oceans.
Corporate Transactions group members work with publicly traded corporations, private- and family-owned business, private equity funds, venture capital-backed companies, entrepreneurial start-ups and multinational corporations.
Our experience includes:
- Acquisitions and divestitures
- Corporate finance, including bonds
- Corporate governance
- Domestic and cross-border transactions
- Due diligence
- Equity capital markets transactions
- Foreign corrupt practices and bribery
- Initial public offerings
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
- National and international supply agreements
- Public to private transactions
- Regulatory approval processes
- Secured transactions, including cross-border
- Securities regulation
- Shareholder activism
- Shareholder lawsuits
- Tender offers
ALFA International’s lawyers regularly work together as a team. This experience and familiarity allows us to offer our clients an efficient local advantage without the imposing cost structure of a national or multinational law firm. Of course, any group of lawyers can say that they know how to work together. The Corporate Transactions group believes its experience speaks for itself. In recent years, transactions jointly handled by firms within the Corporate Transactions group include the following:
- Conducting an international survey of film production and distribution laws and business customs on behalf of a major U.S. film production company. Coordinated by a California based member firm and involving member firms from over 40 countries, our Corporate Transactions group delivered a comprehensive memorandum summarizing the legal and regulatory environment in nearly 70 jurisdictions on all five continents to this multinational client in three weeks.
- Advice and co-operative action provided by our South Australian, Hong Kong, German and UK members in a multi-country transaction involving the establishment and operations of a global beverage product company.
- The representation of the owners of a West Texas based oilfield services company with multi-state operations by member firms in Canada, New Mexico and Texas in the sale of the operating assets of the company for consideration in the mid-eight digits paid in cash and stock of a publically traded Canadian company.
- The representation by member firms located in Vermont and Texas of a New England based manufacturing company in its low eight digit acquisition of all of the assets of a competitor operating several facilities in multiple states.
- The joint representation of a retailer by three member firms in the Southwestern U.S. in addressing title and other due diligence issues relating to the sale of more than 100 locations to a third party.
- The representation by two member firms of an Irish investor in purchasing the shares of a pharmaceutical company in Germany, including due diligence and structuring the transaction as well as drafting and negotiating the Stock Purchase Agreement.
- Provided assistance to a California based client in its acquisition of the assets of a German corporation with a particular focus on intellectual property rights.
- Representation by German and Belgian member firms in a client’s transfer of a lease contract for a jack-up vessel as well as forward sale at the end of the lease term, including necessary corporate and tax structuring, to global industry player represented by two of the largest law firms in the world.
- Representation of a German based client by German and U.S. member firms in negotiating and documenting the financing of a production line to be built in Tennessee, including the preparation of legal opinions on corporate matters and title to and security for the production line.
- Representation of a French investor in its acquisition of a group of advertising companies with entities in Italy and Germany, including due diligence, tax structuring and negotiating and drafting the stock purchase agreements, by German, French and Italian member firms.
- Due diligence by a Californian member on the US corporate connections in a complex, high profile, nine digit transaction centered in South Australia.
- In the acquisition of a UK based business by an Australian company, our UK member provided advice to our South Australian member on a range of UK and EU competition, employment and tax matters.
- Assistance by a Middle East member in providing legal and “in practice” advice as part of a foreign corrupt practices investigation conducted by an Australian member for a publically traded company.