Robinson & McElwee PLLC, ALFA International’s member firm in West Virginia, is a midsize firm that participates in precedent setting cases and multi-million dollar corporate transactions.
Types of corporate transactions in which our firm has particular expertise
The team regularly advises clients in a wide array of industries, including hospitality, coal, timber, and oil and gas. From acting as outside general counsel to privately-held companies to lead counsel on multimillion acquisitions including complicated financing, Robinson & McElwee provides a broad spectrum of services to clients by assisting them in all corporate aspects of their business. The department also provides counsel to clients in connection with financing transactions, where the firm represents both lenders and borrowers.
The size of our firm’s corporate transactions team
Robinson & McElwee’s corporate transactions team consists of six experienced attorneys. The team also has support across the entire firm from other attorneys in more specialized areas when a need arises.
Examples of transactions our firm has undertaken
- Counsel to the purchaser in its acquisition of two full service hotels in Detroit, Michigan. The firm advised on numerous aspects of the coordinated $46 million transaction, including acting as borrowers’ counsel in the dual refinancing (both provided by the same lender) and advising on issues involving the acquisition, construction, management, liquor license and franchise agreements.
- Counsel in the structuring of numerous multi-tiered limited partnerships, several of which involved international cross-border tax issues.
- Counsel in a three family business midmarket corporate transaction that was valued at over $150 million.
- Counsel in a business entity structuring for a private placement by a midmarket hospitality solutions software company.
- Private placement for specialty software company currently selling hospitality back office software in Canada and the United States. The transaction included acquisition of a Sri Lankan software development company incorporated as a subsidiary entity.
- Represented seller of patented cancer-related biotechnology to NADAQ-traded pharmaceutical company.
- General Counsel for two privately held family office enterprises involved in real estate development, energy, timber, auto dealerships, and hotel operations and ownership, in matters including general business and corporate matters, construction law, litigation, real estate, labor and employment matters, and tax matters.
- Counsel to a U.S./Canadian backed investor group in its multi-million dollar acquisition of various hospitality properties in the US. As lead counsel, we created a multi-tiered special purpose limited partnership entity used in the transaction and structured the acquiring and investing entities with an eye toward Canadian and U.S tax considerations with the advice of independent tax professionals. Additionally, we represent the asset manager in connection with the significant renovation the property and the related contracts.
- Counsel to software company in connection with Series A preferred investment round.