Lewis Thomason, ALFA International’s member firm in Nashville, Tennessee, has a robust corporate transactions group that advises business clients on all aspects of business and transactional matters.
Types of corporate transactions in which our firm has expertise
Lewis Thomason’s national franchise law team represents franchisees in many major chains across the United States and provides counsel on matters related to contracts, financing, acquisitions, intellectual property and branding disputes, construction and local zoning compliance, and employee relations. We have extensive experience in drafting, negotiating, and enforcing leases for real property.
Lewis Thomason’s tax attorneys provide sophisticated federal and state tax advice to clients across Tennessee and the United States, in both transactional and litigation contexts. In addition, we have considerable experience with international corporate and tax planning for foreign companies and individuals, including structuring, local counsel, opinion work, and compliance with the complex legal and tax provisions necessary for companies and individuals to operate in the United States. Our experience includes international tax structuring and assisting with the resolution of tax issues with United States and local taxation agencies, such as voluntary disclosures, FinCen filings, and resolving issues with various reporting forms such as 5471s.
We have extensive experience with estate planning and often help other firms whose clients have assets here in Tennessee comply with Tennessee law. We also assist international clients with their estate planning and have worked with attorneys in a number of other countries to create comprehensive estate and business succession plans.
The size of our firm’s corporate transactions team
Our team consists of 23 lawyers.
Examples of transactions our firm has undertaken
- Assisted a Chinese company with a United States subsidiary in resolving its United States taxation issues needed for the company to go public in China. Assisted with restructuring the company to make it more efficient for taxation purposes.
- Assisted a United States client with tax structuring his extensive investments in Caribbean real estate and business ventures.
- Assisted Guatemalan residents with children and assets in the United States and Guatemala with their international estate planning.
- Assisted United States banks in their lending transactions in mergers and acquisition transactions, including opinion letter
- Provides extensive counsel to franchisees in numerous national franchises.
- Created an estate plan for a family with numerous businesses in Tennessee compliant with some of the unique provisions of Tennessee law.
- Review and preparation of leases for a large national retailer.
- Assisted an accounting firm to resolve unreported foreign income issues and assisted in the preparation of a Streamlined Voluntary Disclosure package to resolve the unreported 5471s.