Burch, Porter & Johnson, ALFA International’s member firm in Memphis, Tennessee, provides comprehensive business transaction services, with experienced attorneys and practices that include Corporate and Business Law, Finance and Commercial Lending, Real Estate, and Taxation.
Types of corporate transactions in which our firm has particular expertise
Our Transaction Group engagements encompass all stages of business development and operation from individuals and start-ups looking to begin their business, to experienced businesses looking to grow, to mature businesses looking to plan for the next generation. The goal of our forward-thinking philosophy: provide practical, efficient solutions to obtain the best result for our clients.
The Corporate and Business Law attorneys at Burch, Porter & Johnson assist a wide array of corporate and business entity clients on a range of matters, including general corporate, mergers and acquisitions, and securities matters. Other services include entity selection and formation, corporate governance and compliance, joint ventures, federal and state environmental regulation, bank M&A and bank regulatory matters, start-up financing, and venture capital and private equity.
The Finance and Commercial Lending attorneys represent banks and other financial institutions, insurance companies, investors and borrowers in all aspects of commercial finance and lending transactions. Members have experience negotiating, documenting and closing a broad spectrum of financing and lending transactions on behalf of lenders, including mezzanine lenders and investors, as well as borrowers, in addition to structuring and closing complex secured and unsecured credit facilities, navigating regulatory requirements, and efficiently addressing challenges faced by out-of-state lenders in multi-state transactions.
The Real Estate attorneys advise clients on all aspects of the acquisition, disposition, development, financing and leasing of real property. The group works actively with clients, including Fortune 500 companies, privately-held companies, small businesses, developers, investors, financial institutions, and municipalities and other governmental agencies in planning, structuring, negotiating and closing real estate transactions. We represent buyers and sellers, both regionally and out-of-state. Our attorneys often serve as local counsel on multi-state loan transactions, representing lenders as well as borrowers in commercial real estate lending matters, and representing lenders in Uniform Commercial Code transactions.
The Taxation attorneys are experienced in tax planning and representation on federal, state and local tax matters. The group has broad experience in general tax planning advice, tax consulting on business transactions, representation in tax controversies and state and local tax matters and guidance on tax-exempt entities and issues.
The size of our firm’s corporate transactions team
The Corporate Transactions group at Burch, Porter & Johnson consists of eight members and two associates, for a total team of 10 attorneys. In addition, attorneys from other practice groups are available to advise on matters, as required to meet client needs.
Examples of transactions our firm has undertaken
- Borrower’s counsel for large national company in $600 million syndicated asset-based loan facility.
- Represented a large national client in its purchase of multiple agronomy and aerial agricultural aviation businesses.
- Represented a client in connection with the sale of a large alcoholic beverage distribution business.
- Lender’s counsel for $45 million loan facility to national farm cooperative borrowing group secured by current assets, investment property and real property located in multiple states, including preparation and negotiation of loan and security instruments, due diligence, loan closing and perfection of liens.
- Represented a large national company in connection with its conversion from a Delaware corporation to a limited liability company.
- Represented an investor group in connection with the sale of controlling interest in a large litigation services business.
- Represented a large Southeast distributer of welding and medical gases in connection with several acquisitions and various other corporate and real estate matters.
- Lead counsel in the acquisition of both developed and undeveloped real property throughout the United States and more than 18 transactions, handling all aspects of the transaction, including preparation and negotiation of contracts, all title survey and zoning due diligence, preparation of closing documents and closing transactions.
- Served as Tennessee counsel for a borrower in multistate real estate loan from multiple lenders in the amount of approximately $500 million.
Syndicated line and term facilities to national media borrowing group secured by current assets. Review and negotiation of credit and subordination documents re: mezzanine debt.
- Counsel to a private equity group investing in 12 industrial sites in multiple states, including transaction documents and delivery of opinions.
Lender’s counsel for $20 Million master facility to borrowing group operating in the steel industry in four states. The facility is secured by current assets and real property located in multiple states and abroad. Firm handled entire loan transaction including preparation and negotiation of loan and security instruments, due diligence, loan closing and perfection of liens.
- Lender’s counsel for $13 Million master facility to borrowing group secured by current assets (including farm products) and real property located in multiple states related to five (5) entities operating in the cotton commodities industry, including preparation and negotiation of loan and security instruments, due diligence, loan closing and perfection of liens.
- Represented a large non-profit client in connection with a combination of multi-city affiliates, including a dissolution and distribution of assets.
Served as Tennessee local counsel in connection with purchase by a client of several commercial properties in the Nashville area subject to a Payment in Lieu of Taxes arrangement.
- Represented a national environmental consulting firm in connection with multiple acquisitions and various other corporate matters.
Represented a client in connection with the sale of a large audio-visual company.
- Advised a client in connection with development and financing of industrial real estate portfolio in multi-state transaction.
Represented educational institution in connection with its expansion and financing of $18,300,000 athletic facility.
- Real Estate counsel to investment property firm in connection with apartment community, including acquisition and financing and closing of $14 Million mortgage loan.
- Defend real estate titles for a national title company where real estate title or priority of title is questioned.