Barun Law is ALFA International’s member firm in Korea, one of the largest and most profitable full-service practice law firms in Korea. Its lawyers have been recognized as leading M&A legal experts, as well as finance and corporate law experts. Its lawyers have extensive experience, ranging from developing the optimal transactional structures suitable for its clients’ needs to drafting a suitable MOU, from undertaking legal reviews and comprehensive due diligence to assisting in restructuring and with negotiations with the counterparty. The firm can also address all aspects of closing and post-closing matters, including the making of all necessary regulatory reports. It doesn’t believe in off-the-shelf solutions. Instead, the advice its attorneys provide is tailored so that it is transaction-specific and optimized. Barun Law achieves great results for its clients by utilizing its broad experience and expertise accumulated by working co-operatively with a number of local and international companies, consultants and law firms.
The firm’s dispute resolution and litigation practice is second-to-none in Korea; almost all of its litigation group partners are former judges or prosecutors. Its notable civil and criminal litigation and dispute resolution group recognized locally and abroad for the depth of expertise of its practitioners. The firm has represented clients from a range of sectors including construction, electronics and automotive and frequently represent cases before the Supreme Court and are able to draw on the firm’s wider experience of handling matters ranging from various corporate disputes to antitrust matters.
Examples of Cases Barun Law has undertaken
- Successfully advised and represented complex share purchase transactions or financing transactions for or that relate to multinational companies including but not limited to Mattel, Magna International, Jensen Hughes, Bombardier Transportation, GM Korea, AIG, and GlaxoSmithKline.
- Currently representing the KFTC in a series of litigations against Qualcomm regarding the KFTC’s largest-ever penalty for a single case (over USD 1 billion).
- Successfully represented Hyundai E&C in a case against GS E & C concerning a claim for damages in the amount of KRW 215 billion (equal to approx. USD 180 million).
- Represent sovereign governments in Korea, including the Government of the United States of America, the Government of Canada, the Government of the Netherlands, the Government of Australia, and others, in a wide-range of matters and advised on various legal issues.
- Represent and provide general corporate advisory work to various global companies including Facebook, Texas Instruments, Amazon and Airbnb on a wide variety of issues, including general corporate advisory, regulatory advisory, as well as specialized advice in other areas (litigation, anti-trust)
Award and Recognitions
- Winner of the Legal Advisory Award of the Korea Legal Awards (2018 and 2019)
- Ranked in the Chambers and Partners (Asia-Pacific): (1) Dispute Resolution (Litigation), (2) Restructuring / Insolvency and (3) Real Estate
- Recognized as a Tier 1 Firm by Legal Times (2020) for Litigation
- Recognized as a Tier 2 Firm by Legal Times (2020) for White Collar Crimes
- Recognized as a Highly Recommended Firm by Legal Times (2020) for Labor and Employment