Committed to Diversity
ALFA International Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement
We at ALFA International are deeply saddened by the recent visible evidence of racial injustice in America. Unfolding before us are clear examples showing that people of color are not only treated differently, but sometimes brutally, and most such instances are not captured on video. Two core principles guide us at ALFA International on the issues of diversity and inclusion. First, all people are created equally. Then, as important, discrimination in any form is not accepted or tolerated.
To that end, ALFA International has taken direct steps to enhance the promotion of diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of our network. These measures began prior to the recent tragedies that have fostered reflection and action around the world, and we, too, are committed to doing more. These affirmative steps include:
- At every level of our leadership, we have fostered participation by members of all races, genders, and sexual orientations.
- We have strengthened our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee by granting it direct reporting authority to the Board of Directors.
- We have provided scholarships to minority attorneys to attend our Practice Group Seminars and directly impact the demographics of our meetings.
- We have encouraged and provided meaningful involvement in our Practice Groups to all our members, regardless of their gender, race, or sexual orientation.
- We have partnered with the Diverse Attorney Pipeline Program (DAPP) for the past three years to place female law students of color in paid summer clerkship opportunities with ALFA International member firms.
- We provide meaningful diversity and inclusion programming to our clients and members at our seminars.
While we will continue in these efforts going forward, we have much more to do, and are committed to implementing these additional steps:
- We will strive to ensure our organization reflects, in all respects, the world in which we live.
- We will develop a tool kit for all members and staff to effectively and respectfully address diversity and inclusion issues by providing a wide range of available resources.
- We are implementing an audit of all of our vendors to ensure that the people and organizations with whom we do business reflect the diversity of the world in which we live.
- A comprehensive review will be conducted of all of ALFA International’s program venues in an effort to select locations and facilities that are welcoming to all of our clients and members.
- We encourage all members to support efforts to promote equity and justice in their local communities. We are working to implement a day of service program to promote social justice and eradicate racism. We understand achieving this goal will be a DAILY effort—the day of service is intended to unify our organization in those efforts.
- We are seeking other partnerships, like our rewarding relationship with DAPP, that will provide additional opportunities for minority students and attorneys.
The challenges to us are complex. They require us to be thoughtful, respectful, and deliberate. We will move forward with a clear vision and stand unequivocally to promote fairness and equality for persons of all races, genders, and sexual orientations. Our mission will not end until all people are treated equally, and all discrimination is eliminated.
ALFA International Board of Directors
Kevin Owens, Chair
ALFA International Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee
Sheila Kerwin, Chair