Morrison Mahoney LLP is ALFA International’s member firm in Boston, Massachusetts. The firm works with its clients in diverse practice areas, including: commercial and business litigation; product liability and tort litigation; construction; environmental; hospitals and health systems; employment and labor; toxic tort and health sciences; professional liability; risk management; insurance and reinsurance; subrogation recovery; appellate; admiralty; aviation; emerging business; regulatory and transactional; property; transportation law; and workers’ compensation. Morrison Mahoney LLP has expanded its practice along with the changing world economy to provide business advice, counseling, and litigation support to its corporate clients.
Types of corporate transactions in which our firm has particular expertise
Mergers & Acquisitions – representing buyers and sellers of businesses either through asset or stock sales or traditional statutory mergers (typical deal size = $5,000,000 – $250,000,000).
Commercial Lending – representing borrowers and lenders in connection with commercial loan transactions including all phases of documenting and closing (typical loan amounts = $1,000,000 – $350,000,000) (commercial and industrial loans, term loans, revolving credit facilities, warehouse lending facilities and subscription credit facilities, etc.).
Equity Investments – representing investors and issuers of equity associated with established and new business enterprises from letter of intent to closing and securities compliance matters at the state and federal level (common stock, series seed, series A and beyond, preferred equity, phantom equity, etc.).
General Corporate Counsel Services – assist companies with all their day-to-day corporate law questions related to the following matters: formation, employment, shareholders, organizational documents, governance, leasing (real estate and equipment), regulatory compliance, trademark, intellectual property, business succession planning, joint ventures and contracts (shareholder agreements, operating agreements, employment agreements, consulting agreements, joint venture agreements and general contract review).
Local Counsel Services – provide legal opinions based on local law in connection with transactions, due authority, enforceability and good standing. Also, provide securities compliance opinions based on local law.
Intellectual Property – protecting valuable intellectual property is paramount to a successful business. We prepare and file applications for copyright and trademark protection, draft licensing and related contracts, and prosecute claims of infringement.
Cybersecurity, Privacy and Data Protection – businesses work with us to develop customized plans for coping with sophisticated cyber threats. Our practical strategies protect businesses from security breaches through proactive audits, data breach prevention, detection, and mitigation initiatives. We manage regulatory compliance with international, federal and state privacy and data protection laws, and breach notification statutes.
Employment -to solidify employer-to-employee relationships, clients draw upon our preventative guidance across all employment needs including employment agreements, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, executive compensation and severance packages, personnel policies and best practices, investigations, and training to stem costly claims of discrimination.
The size of our firm’s corporate transactions team
5 lawyers (180 lawyers firm-wide)
Examples of transactions our firm has undertaken
- Morrison Mahoney represented Quaker Special Risk (and its stockholders, subsidiaries and affiliates) in the sale of all Quaker’s (and its stockholders, subsidiaries and affiliates) common stock to JenCap (backed by Oak Hill Capital Partners and The Carlyle Group) which transaction included (i) JenCap making an I.R.S. section 338(h)(10) election; (ii) Quaker (and its subsidiaries and affiliates) implementing an F Reorganization of all entities immediately before closing and (iii) the selling shareholders investing a portion of the purchase price proceeds into the JenCap’s ultimate parent entity.
- Morrison Mahoney represented The Quinn Insurance Group (including 10 subsidiaries and affiliates) in their sale of all of their business assets to PCF Insurance Services (backed by HGGC Private Equity) which included (i) structuring the deal in such a way to minimize the impacts of the state tax known as the “sting tax” which is applicable to S corporations and (ii) the seller rolling over a portion of the purchase price proceeds into equity in PCF’s ultimate parent entity.
- Morrison Mahoney represented Fred C. Church, Inc. (and its stockholders and affiliated entities) in the sale of Fred C Church’s stock to AssuredParnters (backed by GTCR Private Equity) which transaction included a U.S.-based employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) as the majority stockholder.
- Morrison Mahoney has and continues to represent hundreds of companies in connection with their mergers and/or acquisitions starting with the negotiation and preparation of the letter of intent, through the drafting and finalization of the definitive deal documents, to closing and funding. Deal sizes range from $5,000,000 to $250,000,000 in closing day consideration.
- Morrison Mahoney represents a large, well-known, fast-casual restaurant chain in connection with negotiation and drafting leases at various casinos.
- Morrison Mahoney represents a large, well-known, fast-casual restaurant chain in connection with amending and restating its organizational documents.
- Morrison Mahoney represents a large, well-known, fast-casual restaurant chain in connection with bringing on new investors and redeeming existing investors.
- Morrison Mahoney represented Discerned’ Cannabis Purveyor’s, Inc. in connection with its formation, funding and opening of a cannabis retail site in Massachusetts and providing general counsel services.
- Morrison Mahoney represents a Massachusetts-based company that transports cash from cannabis retail establishments to banking facilities and transports cannabis products from their cultivation facility to the company’s retail site with such representation covering all facets of corporate and regulatory matters.
- Morrison Mahoney represents Boston Smoked Fish Co. in connection with all of its joint ventures, acquisitions and general corporate matters.
- Morrison Mahoney represents Boston-based seed investors in connection with all its investments.
- Morrison Mahoney represents a Boston-based family office in connection with all of its corporate counsel needs.
- Morrison Mahoney represents numerous lenders and borrowers in connection with documenting commercial and industrial loans.
- Morrison Mahoney represents a local Caterpillar dealer with all its general corporate needs and general legal matters.
- Morrison Mahoney represents a national, full-service real estate brokerage firm in connection with preparing legal forms to be used by all agents in Massachusetts plus ongoing compliance work.
- Morrison Mahoney represents an additional national, full-service real estate brokerage firm in connection with expanding its operations into Massachusetts and compliance with local laws and regulations.
- Morrison Mahoney represents an international engineering consulting firm in connection with its corporate governance, investor maintenance and contract drafting.
- Morrison Mahoney represents Your Way Fresh (and an affiliate of ProAct) in connection with all of its general corporate counsel needs.