Fasken Martineau Dumoulin LLP is ALFA International’s member firm in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, Canada, and is a leading Canadian business law and litigation firm with more than 770 lawyers in its offices. Its attorneys provide strategic and thoughtful advice to corporate clients, government agencies, regulatory authorities, non-profit bodies and individual clients.
Types of corporate transactions in which our firm has particular expertise
Fasken’s team tailors its strategic advice to the specific business objectives of clients by leveraging the firm’s recognized expertise across a wide range of industries, including mining, energy, health care/life sciences, technology, media and telecommunications and financial services. In addition to our expertise in corporate and securities law, our M&A team is comprised of recognized experts in competition/foreign investment, tax and litigation matters. We act for buyers, sellers, targets, investors and shareholder groups ranging from multinational corporations to family businesses and their shareholders. In addition, financial institutions, private equity and venture capital firms are among our long-standing clients. Apart from mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, our team assists with spin-outs, management buy-outs and investments. We are recognized by the most renowned reference guides: Chambers & Partners, IFLR 1000, The Best Lawyers in Canada, Lexpert and The Legal 500 Canada.
The size of our firm’s corporate transactions team
More than 40 Fasken lawyers focus on advancing M&A strategies for clients every day (in Québec). Another 100 are available to step in with specific advice on tax strategies, competition and foreign investment laws, acquisition financing, labour and employment, and intellectual property. This makes our M&A team one of the largest and most integrated in Canada and elsewhere.
Examples of transactions our firm has undertaken
- Acted for Fonds de solidarité FTQ and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in connection with the acquisition, by Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group, of The Works Entertainment, a high-quality shows producer, and in connection with the signing of a US$120 million credit facility offered by the Fonds de solidarité FTQ and the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec for the purpose of financing the acquisition and other projects.
- Acted for Québecor Media Inc. in connection with the sale, by Videotron Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Québecor Média Inc., of all of the operations of 4Degrees Colocation’s data centres to Vantage Data Centers, a leading provider of data centers in support of business and mission-critical applications. The financial compensation under this sale totalled $259 million.
- Acted for LDetek inc., a global manufacturer of gas chromatography instruments and online analyzers, which entered into an agreement with Battery Ventures, a global technology investment company, pursuant to which Battery Ventures’ process measurement platform, Process Sensing Technologies (PST), will acquire LDetek.
- Acted for Deschênes Group Inc., a leading wholesale distributor to the plumbing and heating, electrical, waterworks, fire protection, HVAC/R and auto parts markets, in the acquisition of Corix Water Products, a division of Corix Infrastructure Inc.
- Acted for Knowlton Development Corporation (KDC) in the acquisition of Northern Labs, Inc. KDC is a leading contract manufacturer of health and beauty-care products with sales exceeding US$850 million and ten operating facilities. The company employs 3,000 people and has its head office in Longueuil, Québec.
- Acted for PwC Canada in connection with the acquisition of Quotient Forensic Accountants, a leading forensic accounting firm. This acquisition positions PwC Canada as a leader in forensic accounting in Quebec and enhances its expertise.
- Acted for Baxters Food Group Ltd. in connection with the acquisition, by a group of Québec investors led by Champlain Financial Corporation, of Baxters Canada Inc. (BCI), making BCI 100% Canadian owned and operated. Baxters Food Group Inc. is a Canadian leader in the production of soups and food processing.
- Acted for Novacap, a leading Canadian private equity firm, in the acquisition of an interest in Noble Foods Nutrition Inc. (“Noble Foods”), a manufacturer of nutrition and energy bars renowned for high quality innovative products for nearly 20 years.
- Acted for Agropur Cooperative, Canada’s largest dairy cooperative, in the acquisition of the assets of Scotsburn Cooperative Services Limited. The agreement covers plants in Truro, Nova Scotia, and Lachute, Québec that manufacture more than 50 million litres of frozen dairy products per year.
- Acted for Morgan Schaffer Inc., a global utility solutions provider located in Montréal that designs, develops, manufactures and markets an integrated offering of dissolved gas analysis (DGA), oil testing and data management solutions that simplify the condition assessment of large high-voltage transformers, in its sale to ESCO Technologies Inc.
- Acted for Groupe St-Hubert Inc., Québec’s leading full-service restaurant operator as well as a fully-integrated food manufacturer, in its sale to Cara Operations Limited for $537 million on a cash-free, debt-free basis. The transaction has closed on September 2, 2016.